Saving time whenever possible in the kitchen is a must. I am always looking for new ways to cut time during the preparation or clean up process without compromising taste or appearance of the meal. I have combined tips from a few pros, leading me to the fastest and most efficient way to remove the pit from, chop, and peel an avocado. The best part is, there is no mess to clean up! Once you've mastered this, you're ready to make my 5-Minute Guacamole (while you're at it, make some extra to make a Kale Guacamole Salad for later!).
1. Slice avocado in half, lengthwise.
2. Tap the pit of the avocado with a knife using enough force to wedge the knife into the pit. If the avocado is ripe enough, you will be able to easily remove the pit. (*This method is a little tricky/dangerous, so be careful when wedging knife into pit!) If the pit doesn't budge, use a spoon to carve out the pit and scoop it out.
3. Gently slice the avocado vertically to create slices, taking care not to puncture the skin. If you want avocado slices (rather than chopped avocado) for your dish, scoop out the sliced avocado using a spoon.
4. Slice the avocado horizontally to chop into cubes.
5. Scoop out using a spoon for perfectly chopped avocado!
I'm Annie! I'm a holistic health coach and PhD student at UT Austin who loves creating and sharing healthy, plant-based, budget-friendly recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. Read more about me here.