Yes, I was pretty surprised, too! Pleasantly surprised though (pleasantly is an understatement).
I LOVE cinnamon rolls. And these are only 70 calories!!! Aka you can eat 5 for breakfast!
There is something seriously liberating about being able 5 cinnamon rolls... don't you think?
Maybe that's just me, but I love being able to dive into a big portion without feeling weighed down or like I just made a bad decision.
Also, don't be scared of the long list of steps in the methods section below - I promise this recipe is much easier than it seems.
Ready in 30 minutes or less, sugar-free, and uh-mazing!
PS: check out this link to a long list of cinnamon health benefits (in case you weren't already convinced to make these!) :)
Cost per serving: $0.23
Calories per serving: 70
Equipment you'll need: 9-inch cake pan, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, rolling pin
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp applesauce
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp Lakanto Classic Monk Fruit Sweetener* (use discount code "Annie" for 20% off!)
non-stick cooking spray
For cinnamon sugar spread:
3 Tbsp Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener*
2 tsp cinnamon
*Or other granulated sweetener of choice
1. Preheat oven to 400 and spray 9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl, and whisk.
3. Add remaining ingredients (not including cinnamon sugar spread ingredients) to the bowl, and stir until well-combined.
4. Combine cinnamon sugar spread ingredients in a separate, small bowl, and set aside.
5. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a rectangle on a floured surface to about 1/4 inches thick. Add more water if necessary!
6. Lightly spray the rectangle of dough with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Pour cinnamon sugar spread evenly over dough.
8. Carefully roll the dough from the longer side of the rectangle to form a log (watch this video at minute 2:10 to see what I mean!).
9. Use a sharp, wet knife to cut log into 12 even cinnamon roll pieces.
10. Place cinnamon rolls in prepared cake pan, and bake for 12 minutes.
11. Once cooled, use a spoon to top with the frosting from this recipe or this recipe or just enjoy them plain.