Cost per serving: $1.22
Calories per serving: 200
Equipment you'll need: blender or food processor, large non-stick skillet, medium non-stick skillet, large spatula
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 medium onion (any color, sliced thinly)
1 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
dash of cayenne (optional)
1 cup kale, chopped
8 corn tortillas
Guacamole or salsa (optional toppings)
For the cheese filling:
1 block firm tofu
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1 tsp onion powder
dash of turmeric (optional)
Note: you'll have some extra cheesy filling - it is delicious as a dip for veggies or crackers!
1. Combine all cheese filling ingredients in blender or food processor, process until smooth, and set aside.
2. Heat large non-stick skillet on medium heat, and add onion and bell peppers. Stir in garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and cayenne (if desired). Cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Uncover and add a tablespoon of water. When the water has evaporated, add another tablespoon. Repeat until onions appear to be caramelized (click here to see what caramelized looks like!). When caramelized, remove from heat.
4. While you are completing step 3, heat medium-sized skillet on medium heat (for 5 minutes).
5. Once heated, place first corn tortilla on skillet. Heat for 2 minutes. Flip tortilla, and heat the other side for 2 minutes. While the second side is heating, spread 2-3 tablespoons of cheesy filling on the tortilla (depending on how cheesy you like it!), and add 1/4 of the veggie mixture on top of the cheesy layer. Top with raw kale, and add second tortilla on top.
6. Carefully flip entire quesadilla using a large spatula, and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
7. Transfer to plate, slice into quarters, and repeat with remaining tortillas.
8. Serve with salsa or guacamole, if desired!