All kinds of cake.
It was always pretty tough to decide if I wanted a vanilla cake or a chocolate cake for my birthday. Actually, it's still pretty tough. SO I was deliberating what kind of cake I wanted this year and came to a conclusion that was both rational and non-discriminatory: vanilla with chocolate frosting.
Best of both worlds! Yippee!
And let me tell you friends... this recipe may change your life. It is that good.
It defintely changed mine!! Not only is it is gluten-free, low-fat and sugar-free, it is ONLY 114 CALORIES FOR A SLICE OF A DOUBLE-LAYRED CAKE!!
I swear... this is revolutionary.
To top off the amazingness of this cake, it is super easy to make.
All you need is a blender and a cake pan (and a saucepan if you want to use myHealthy Chocolate Frosting, but that's really easy too - promise!), and you're ready to go.
BOOM. A double-layered, fluffy vanilla cake with chocolate frosting in 45 minutes or less.
A birthday miracle.
Cost per serving: $0.71
Calories per serving: 114
Equipment you'll need: blender, 9" cake pan (and saucepan if making this frosting, too!)
4 cups gluten-free quick oats
3 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup powdered erythritol (I use Swerve sweetener, confectioner's) (or other powdered sugar of choice)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp xanthan gum
400g yellow squash, sliced
1 Tbsp liquid stevia
3 tsp natural butter flavor
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
Frosting: Healthy Chocolate Frosting (low-carb/sugar-free/low-fat/gluten-free/low-calorie!)
1. Preheat oven to 350F, spray cake pan with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside. (If you have two cake pans, do both at once).
2. Add oats to blender or food processor, and process until a flour-like consistency is reached.
3. Pour oats into large bowl, add baking powder, confectioner's sweetener, salt, and xanthan gum, and whisk to combine.
4. Add sliced squash, liquid stevia, butter flavor, vanilla extract, applesauce, water, and vinegar to blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
5. Pour wet ingredients into mixing bowl with dry ingredients, and stir until well-combined.
6. Pour half of the batter into prepared cake pan, and bake for 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Pour remaining cake batter into second cake pan and repeat.
7. Let cakes cool, and frost with this chocolate frosting or frosting of choice, and stack cakes on top of each other!