1. Iron. Kale contains more iron per calorie than beef! Iron is important for transporting oxygen throughout the body and forming hemoglobin.
2. Vitamins A, C, and K. Vitamin A is important for vision and skin. (It helps prevent wrinkles!) Vitamin C boosts the immune system and metabolism. Vitamin K is important for bone health and normal blood clotting.
3. Calcium. Kale contains more calcium per calorie than milk! Calcium is important for bone health and for preventing osteoporosis.
4. Antioxidants. Antioxidants prevent cancer!
5. Detoxification. Cruciferous veggies (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) contain compounds that support the liver and aid in the detoxification process.
As you can see, kale is an amazingly powerful food!! Try it in this delicious, simple, 5-ingredient salad, and you'll be hooked for life! (Which will probably be longer now that you've had kale!) Enjoy!
Cost per serving: $0.91
Calories per serving: 144
Equipment you'll need: large salad bowl
4 cups kale, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
12 grape tomatoes, halved
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mash avocado in large salad bowl.
2. Add in lemon juice and mix thoroughly. (The mashed avocado + lemon juice is the salad dressing).
3. Add in kale and onions, and toss.
4. Top with grape tomatoes, salt, and pepper.