Calories per serving: 117
Cost per serving: $0.56
Equipment you'll need: large mixing bowl, muffin tin, another large mixing bowl for frosting (optional)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup stevia for baking or xylitol (or 3/4 cup more sugar)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional pink frosting:*
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp beet puree
1-2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
*Not included in nutrition facts or cost. Frosting adds 88 calories, 20 grams of sugar, and an additional $0.07 per serving.
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line muffin tin with paper liners (and spray those with cooking spray).
2. Combine all ingredients (except optional frosting ingredients) in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. I find that using a fork first and then a spoon works very well.
3. Scoop batter into muffin tin and fill 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cool, and then frost! To make frosting: combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl, and stir until there are no more lumps.