Are you afraid of tofu?I understand – I used to be there.
It is kind of weird, but when it is prepared correctly it can be absolutely DELICIOUS.
The beauty of tofu is that it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, making it one of the easiest and tastiest vegan sources of protein.
You will just have to trust me on this one!
Here is a perfect tofu recipe to get you started. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you this tastes just like barbecue chicken and you’ll never know the difference, but it does taste similar and just as yummy in my humble opinion.
This meal is high in protein while low in carbs and sugar, making it the perfect lunch or dinner choice for those trying to build up muscle or for those trying to slim down before summer.
Cost per serving: $0.81
Calories per serving: 43
Equipment you’ll need: frying pan
1 block extra firm tofu, cut into 16 pieces
1/4 cup Healthy Homemade Barbecue Sauce (or barbecue sauce of choice)
Garlic powder & pepper, to taste
1. Drain tofu: wrap block of tofu in paper towel. Place cutting board on top of the block of tofu. Apply even pressure to the top of the block by placing a cookbook (or something of equal weight) on top of the cutting board. Let tofu drain for about 15-20 minutes.
2. Slice tofu into 16 equal-sized pieces.
3. Spray frying pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat.
4. Add tofu and season with garlic powder and pepper (a few dashes of each).
5. Fry tofu for 5 minutes, flip, and fry the other side for another 5 minutes or until tofu is golden brown and slightly charred in some places.
6. Remove from heat, coat each piece with barbecue sauce, and enjoy!