Jalapeño poppers are typically a high-fat, high-calorie, indulgent snack made with copious amounts of cheese (which sounds amazing but probably not so great for the waist line!)
This vegan, gluten-free, low-carb version of a traditionally unhealthy dish is just as delicious without all the added fat, calories, or animal byproducts.
These are the perfect snack to serve as an appetizer to guests at a dinner party or to snack on while watching the game.
The rich, creamy, cheesy middle offsets the heat of the jalapeño, causing a savory explosion in your mouth with a little kick of spice at the end.
They are so delicious it is hard to believe each popper only contains 14 calories!!
If I haven't sold you on these scrumptious little pieces of spicy, cheesy heaven yet, here's another tidbit that might do the trick: they are ready in only 30 minutes.
Enjoy, and happy snacking!
Cost per serving: $0.72
Calories per serving: 28
Equipment you'll need: blender, baking sheet
1 package firm Mori-Nu tofu
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp onion powder
3 tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
chili powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F and prep jalapeños: cut off tops, slice in half, and remove seeds and membranes. Note: wear gloves if you have sensitive skin - the spiciness of the jalapeños started to burn my fingers after a while!
2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil (or coat with cooking spray) and place jalapeños on top facing up.
3. Add tofu, nutritional yeast, garlic, ketchup, Bragg's liquid aminos, cayenne, turmeric, and onion powder to blender and blend until smooth to create the cheese mixture.
4. Use a tablespoon to spoon the cheese mixture into each jalapeño.
5. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and chili powder if desired.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
How long do you bake them in the oven for?
15 minutes! I just added that - I can't believe I left that out, I'm so sorry! Thank you for pointing it out to me 🙂 Hope you enjoy the recipe!