Don’t be fooled by the name of this recipe though… no grill required here. Confession: I have never used a grill in my life and have absolutely no idea how to use one. Don’t tell. That’s embarrassing for a food blogger.
Did you know that when I started this blog was the first time I had ever cooked for myself?!
Like, I had never even held a knife until about a week before I started blogging.
I lived on vegan pizza from Whole Foods and Dr. Praegger’s veggie burgers. For real. So I definitely still have lots to learn in the kitchen, but I’ve come a lonnnnng way.
That’s why my recipes are so simple – I’m still kind of new at this whole thing!
Not that I’m going to be making my recipes more complicated with more experience… because who has time for that. I’m all about simple, healthy recipes that don’t take all day in the kitchen.
Spending too much time in the kitchen kind of takes the joy out of it all for me. I’m definitely not one of those people who loovvess cooking all day. Now EATING, that’s another story. This girl looooves to eat. I could do that all day for sure.
Alright, back to the burg. Burg as in burger. Is that an acceptable abbreviation? I kind of like it.
This delectable, filling, barbecue tofu burger is:
& oh so satisfying!
This post is sponsored by my FAVORITE tofu brand, House Foods. They are my go-to for all of my organic tofu needs (of which I have many, perhaps more than the average person :D)
Cost per serving: $0.81
Calories per serving: 166
Equipment you’ll need: frying pan
1 block House Foods organic extra firm tofu
1/2 cup Healthy Homemade BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
Bun of choice, lettuce, tomato, and any other toppings you like
1. Drain tofu: remove tofu from package, and wrap the block of tofu in paper towels. Gently squeeze out excess moisture, and set aside for about 10 minutes to allow it to continue draining.
2. Once drained, cut tofu into two equal-sized square pieces.
3. Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat.
4. Add tofu and season with garlic powder and pepper (a few dashes of each).
5. Fry tofu for 5 minutes, flip, spice again, and fry the other side for another 5 minutes or until tofu is golden brown and slightly charred in some places.
6. Remove from heat, and coat tofu with Healthy Homemade BBQ Sauce.
7. Serve on a bun with all of your favorite toppings (maybe with a side of Perfect Sweet Potato Fries), and enjoy!